Friday, April 12, 2019

Words From Yesi On Air


"After I broke into mainstream Chicago radio, I realized I could do so much more with my platform. About 5 years ago I started modeling. I didn't know how to, where this road would take me, but I just knew that I had to model. When I was younger, I was not very feminine. I only have brothers, wasn't allowed to wear makeup, could only wear baggy clothes. But I always wanted to FEEL pretty. I did not feel that way until I was about 19 years old when I started buying my own clothes and got into makeup and skin care. When I started modeling I still didn't feel 100% comfortable with my body because I have always been larger in size, but I didn't care anymore. I remember saying, "I'm done." And I was done being worried about what others thought of my body, sensuality, sexuality and I started loving myself more. It's been a great experience. I've been published in several magazines, appeared as a model on a TV commercial, and do runway shows."
Describe yourself in three sentences.
I am God's messenger. Ever since I was a little girl I knew I wanted to be a positive female influence on the radio. So here I am.
Tell us about your childhood. How would you describe your upbringing in a few sentences?
My earliest memories of a child were of me in Palestina, Durango Mexico. Although I was born in Chicago, I am very connected to the small-town, simple upbringing. The morals, values and hard work has shaped the way I am today.
How did this effect your adulthood?
I learned to live off of my resources, make the most of what I have. That's how I started modeling. I realized that besides being an on-air personality, I was also living off of my IMAGE. So I recreated myself.
What motivates you to succeed?
I expect a lot from myself. I know I am capable to do a lot so mediocrity is not something I accept.
Advice for others seeking inspiration?
Do not seek for inspiration outside of you. Ask yourself WHY you want to change your current situation.
Tell us your definition of a "win" and a "loss"?
I have no losses because every failure teaches you something.
If you could change something about your past, would you?
Nothing. Everything is meant to be for your development.
Sum up your career goals, life goals, personal goals in a few sentences.
Career: Using my platform as a radio host, model, public persona to help others.
Life: Work on my health. Not that anything is wrong now, but I definitely want to be on more of a plant-based lifestyle, do more yoga, be more athletic.
Personal: Dedicate more time to my family and friends. These people love you unconditionally, have known you throughout all of your stages in life. It's time I enjoy them more.
What is your most appreciated "failure"?
I had an interview with a Program Director for a Spanish radio station but he told me my American accent was too prominent in my Spanish so he didn't give me the job right away. Since then I dedicated myself to reading, writing, watching TV and speaking in Spanish so I can connect better with that demographic. Now I am one of the most popular public figures in Chicago amongst my black and brown people.

No comments:

Post a Comment